ISO 17025, entitled: «General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories», was updated in 2017. This revision, of the 2005 version, takes into account the evolution of technologies. This update incorporates technical developments, vocabulary and IT progress. The importance of compliance for laboratories is to have an international label to attest to the reliability of their results.
Developed by laboratory experts from around the world, the standard is updated to better meet the needs of the laboratories that use it. The primary purpose of harmonizing these practices is, of course, to facilitate international trade. Indeed, the installation of a single approved standard between laboratories in different countries of the world allows the recognition of test results without having to reproduce the test from one country to another. Thus, whatever the type of laboratories (universities, research centres, etc.) or the type of structures (regulatory bodies, inspection bodies, certification bodies, etc.), each of the players can benefit from a similar reference system.
So, what are the main changes to the new ISO 17025:2017 standard?
First of all, an extension of the scope of application, which now includes all laboratory activities.
Then, the process approach of the standard tends towards the conformity and homogenization of all ISO rules (9001, 17000, 15189…) so that it is the processing process itself that is evaluated rather than the description of the tasks that compose it. And similarly, risk-based reasoning brings the different ISO standards closer together in terms of commonalities.
In addition, the evolution in the processing of information and its electronic distribution, ISO 17025 enshrines the use of computer systems and guarantees the results of production, as well as the publication of reports.
The differentiator of a research module in a test data management software package
The advantage of setting up an automatic system for generating results documents
- Format the response to the requester
- Integrate test data and all useful files (photo, graph…) into the report
- Automatically forward the answer to the right people (mailing lists and confidentiality)
- Alert requesters of the response
- Archive past responses to search through the laboratory history
- Document extraction module to automatically generate reports in the desired format (Word, PDF, Excel…)
- Capitalization and document management within an integrated electronic document management system
- Flexible workflow and alert and notification module (emails, dashboard) to distribute the response
The need for a complete interface of test data management software